Are you a curly haired girl traveling for the holidays? Are you ripping out your curls trying to figure out how to pack your hair products and tools? I totally get it.
I have two trips coming up for Thanksgiving and Christmas. A flight to Indiana and New Hampshire. Each one is an extended stay and will require a wash day. That means I’m going to need a travel hair dryer and diffuser.
In the past I’ve traded in space and weight to bring my trusted BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Portofino full size dryer. However, it weighs almost 2 pounds and makes packing awkward. I also worry about it breaking during transportation. With a $100+ price tag, I’m done with taking that risk!
We like to travel. Whether it’s a road trip around the states or internationally. My goal was to find a mini hair dryer and diffuser that would give me close to perfect curls without sacrificing weight, space, efficiency and price. I think I found a winner!
Update: If you scroll to the bottom of this post, I’ve included multiple wash day results using this compact travel hair dryer.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you purchase from them. Thanks for supporting the free content on this site!
Drum roll, please….
I purchased the BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Travel Dryer! Not only is it a baby version of my well-loved BaByliss hair dryer, it performs just as well. Check out my short pros and cons list of this portable hair dryer.
- Dual voltage ideal for travel. 110-125V and 220-250 volts. Just make sure to bring a travel adapter.
- Weight. Only 9 ounces!
- Foldable for easy packing.
- Size. This mini hair dryer looks like a toy. My husband laughed when he opened the Amazon box. He couldn’t believe it would dry my hair.
- Long cord perfect for hotel rooms with oddly placed outlets. It’s 6 feet long!
- 2 heat settings. Low heat/low speed. High heat/high speed.
- Noise. It makes sense that a travel hair dryer this small would make a good bit of sound. I can deal with it the few times a year I’ll be using it.
- Hard to find a diffuser to fit due to its small size. However, I have the solution for you below.
Hair Dryer Diffuser to Fit BaByliss Pro Travel Hair Dryer
I searched high and low to find a travel diffuser for my long curly hair. With the 1.5” diameter barrel, the options were limited. However, I found a collapsible hair dryer diffuser that works fabulously!
The Segbeauty universal diffuser is made from silicon and fits most hair dryers. This means, if you love it, you can use it for more than travel!
Travel Hair Dryer and Diffuser Test Run
I began my test of this product by performing my normal wash day routine. (You can find the curly girl products on my deep conditioning treatment post.) I attached the hair dryer diffuser to my mini dryer. *Tip: After fitting the diffuser over the dryer nozzle, turn the diffuser clockwise to tighten. This way, it won’t fall off during use. This was a comical moment as the diffuser seemed quite large comparatively.
With my head upside down, I diffused on low speed/low heat for 10 minutes. The hair dryer did not smell, nor did it overheat. My hair was about 50% dry, so I added a little gel (Smasters method). I followed this up with 10 minutes of diffusing on high speed/high heat. The travel hair dryer put out a ton of heat. I expected it to overheat and dry out my hair. However, it had quite the opposite effect. The engine area of the dryer was cool to the touch, the diffuser kept its shape and my hair finished drying without frizz! At a total of 20 minutes, my curls were about 90% dry, so I stopped there. See my beautiful 2c/3a curls below.
I’m so excited to take this curly hair travel duo on the road. Now I can pack that extra sweater or cute winter boots in my suitcase. Not to mention, my curls are still going to look amazing every where I travel.
With one week to Thanksgiving, it’s not too late to order your own hair dryer and travel diffuser. Better yet, if you know a curly haired friend, gift them one!
02/26/2019 – As with most product reviews, it’s best to measure the results multiple times. For my wash day today, I used my travel hair dryer so you could see how my curls turned out!
Curly Hair Products Included:
- Washed with As I AM Coconut Cowash. Rinsed completely.
- Scrunched in Kinky-Curly Knot Today Leave-In Conditioner/Detangler.
- Plopped for an hour.
- Scrunched in Curls Creme Brule Whipped Curl Cream and Kinky Curly Curling Custard.
- Diffused with travel hair dryer on low for 10 minutes.
- Scrunched in a little Kinky Curly Curling Custard.
- Finish diffusing on high setting until 100% dry. SOTC with Righteous Roots RX Oil.