You might not be thinking of a Caribbean vacation right now. Especially, since it’s summer and restaurants and stores are just starting to open up due to the coronavirus. However, Sandals Resorts just announced they are reopening their all inclusive resort locations! They have an additional $500 instant booking bonus as part of their summer kick-off and an intensive cleanliness program to ease your safety concerns.
2020 has been a stressful year for everyone. Due to COVID-19, my husband and I were not able to celebrate our anniversary. So, we placed a deposit for a 10-day all inclusive vacation package at Sandals Barbados for the winter of 2020. Currently, Sandals Royal Barbados and Sandals Barbados are the only two Sandals Resort locations without a reopen date. Fingers crossed that they make an announcement soon!
Sandals has always been concerned with health and preventing the spread of illness. If you are concerned about safety and cleanliness during your travel to and stay at a Sandals Resort, read on about their Platinum Protocol of Cleanliness.
(Disclosure: Some of the product links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small affiliate commission. This helps keep my blog running!)
Platinum Protocol of Cleanliness
- Arrival at the Sandals Airport Lounge
- Guest Transfers to Sandals Resorts
- Food & Beverage Outlets
- Housekeeping & Laundry
- Elite Services (Butler Service, Club Sandals, Concierge)
- Resort Activies (Aqua Center, Dive Boats, etc.)
- Guest Rooms
- Swimming Pools & Spa Jacuzzi’s
- Team Members Access Points
- Fitness Centers
- Suppliers & Receiving
- All Public Areas (Resort, Beach, etc.)
- Back of House Areas (kitchens, store rooms, offices, etc.)
- Red Lane Spa
- HVAC Systems
Sandals Private Airport Lounges & Airport Transfers
One area of concern for us is visiting an airport outside of the United States. Sandals Resorts offers an exclusive lounge for all guests staying at a Sandals or Beaches resort. Upon arrival, stop by for some hand sanitizer, complimentary mask and gloves and a cool, tropical drink.
All Sandals Team Members will wear masks and gloves, including the Luggage Porters and airport transfer drivers. The number of guests will be decreased per transfer vehicle to ensure social distancing. The vehicles will be sanitized after each trip to the resort.
Sandals Check-In Update
If you have stayed at a Sandals Resort, you know there are protocols when it comes to checking in. Each resort is the same and you know what to expect. This process has changed due to the coronavirus.
- Check-in online at home. This way you skip the front desk and go directly to your guest room. (There has always been online check-in. We have taken advantage of it each time we’ve stayed at a Sandals Resort. However, each time we arrived at the resort, we were still required to go through the normal check-in process at the front desk. This process always takes 30 minutes to an hour. I am hoping this new protocol stays as it would save time and make the check-in process much smoother.)
- Your temperature will be checked upon arrival at the resort. If you have a temperature exceeding 99.5F/37.5C, it will be considered outside the range.
Sandals Certified Sanitized Suites
For the 55+ nights we have stayed at Sandals Resorts, our guest room and bathrooms have always been impeccably clean. Sandals is taking it to the next level to ensure a hospital-grade, sanitized environment. This means all linens, mattresses, pillows, carpets, air ducts and more will be cleaned daily or with the arrival of each new guest. See the photos to review each cleaning touch point for your Sandals Resort Suite and bathroom.
Sandals Social Distancing Practices
In the U.S. we are accustomed to social distancing in the grocery stores and at local restaurants. What does it mean for your vacation at an all-inclusive Caribbean resort?
The majority of restaurants at each Sandals Resort locations are open-air and that ocean breeze makes everyone happy. Dinner reservations will be spaced out so that guests are not checking in to the restaurants at the same time. The tables and chairs in the restaurants, at the pool, bars and beach will be spaced out 6 feet to keep you a safe distance from others.
Tip: If you are planning on using the elevators, be sure to wait your turn if another couple or staff worker is already inside.
While being served in an enclosed dining room, your attendants will be wearing masks and gloves. The buffets will no longer be self-serve. You will be seated and served by a Sandals attendant.
View this post on Instagram
Sandals Reopening Dates
Sandals Grande Antigua and Sandals Montego Bay are currently the only open Caribbean resort locations. However, there are scheduled reopen dates for almost all Sandals Luxury Resorts. Sandals has a website page designated exclusively to their reopen calendar.
Currently, Sandals has a special for all arrivals now through August 1, 2020. If you book at Sandals Montego Bay or Sandals Royal Caribbean, you will arrive at the resort in a complimentary BMW private luxury transfer!! See the Sandals website for more details.
Sandals Refunds & Rescheduling
Sandals Resorts currently has a fluid refund and reschedule policy due to the pandemic. They are advertising Free Room Cancellation and 100% Refunds for reservations cancelled 31 days or more prior to your check-in date (with the exception of the Over-the-Water-Suites). However, if you have specific concerns about your booked travel or booking future travel, I would call customer service directly at 1-888-SANDALS.
Which Sandals Should You Choose?
Now that you feel comfortable with the quality of cleanliness Sandals Resorts has to offer, which all inclusive resort will you choose? Below are the Sandals Resort locations we have stayed at.
- Sandals LaSource Grenada – 2017 & 12/2019 (Link: Sandals website)
- Sandals Grande Antigua (2 visits – click link to read pros & cons list) – 2011 & 2016
- Sandals South Coast, formerly Sandals Whitehouse – 2012 (Link: Sandals website. Photo tour coming soon!)
- Sandals Royal Bahamian – 2014 (Link: Sandals Website)
Let me know about your getaway plans and if I can help in any way. Sandals Resorts are a home away from home for my husband and I. We truly enjoy talking about our stays and helping others have the most romantic, fun-filled holiday.