Do you ever have those mornings where you don’t feel like putting the effort into styling your curls? This last Sunday, I was all too happy to stay in my pajamas reading my latest book. However, my scalp was screaming for a wash and I couldn’t resist any longer.
My goal for this curly girl wash day was to simplify the process while obtaining decent results. I knew I had a busy week ahead and wanted my curls to last at least 4 to 5 days before the next wash.
I peered under the sink at all my hair styling products and picked 3 items. I wanted a leave-in conditioner, curl cream and gel. Here’s my minimal curly hair wash and style routine with my results!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you purchase from them. Thanks for supporting the free content on this site!
in the shower
- Cleanse hair with Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo. I just started using this shampoo. I can feel my scalp tingling as it cleans and the scent is heavenly. It has worked wonderful for my low porosity hair!
- Condition with Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Hair Masque for 10 minutes while still in the shower. Completely rinse out. This conditioner does have protein in it. I only use it occasionally.
- Squish to condish with Kinky-Curly Knot Today Leave-In Conditioner/Detangler.
Using a 100% cotton t-shirt, I plopped my hair for half an hour. I normally add all my styling products before plopping, but decided to try something different (damp styling). I find that plopping removes much of my product. That is why I reapply my curl styling products halfway through my diffusing process.
Curly hair Styling
- Scrunch in Curls Creme Brule Whipped Curl Cream. Whenever I use this product, my husband says the bathroom smells like a giant cupcake.
- Scrunch in Kinky Curly Original Curling Custard.
Immediately diffuse hair. I diffuse my hair using the BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Portofino. With my thick, 2c 3a curls, it takes me about 30 minutes to almost completely dry my curls.
The technique I use is to dry in 60 second intervals. I use warm and cool settings while flipping my hair from side to side.
As you can see, my layered curls are well-defined, frizz free and voluminous. I even decided to go makeup free to celebrate my simple curly hair routine. What do you think? Do you have a couple products you just can’t live without?
I tried this routine a second time one week later so you could see that I still love the results from these three curly hair styling products. Sometimes, parting your hair on the opposite side can give you a whole new look just like a little lipstick! ha ha!
bonus: easy refresh day
Today was day 5 for my curls and I desperately needed a refresh. I hopped in the shower, wet my hair thoroughly, finger combed the Curls Creme Brule Whipped Curl Cream and scrunched in Kinky Curly Original Curling Custard. I immediately diffused until dry. Here’s my results! I think I like them better than wash day on Sunday.