Do you ever have those mornings where you don’t feel like putting the effort into styling your curls? This last Sunday, I was all too happy to stay in my pajamas reading my latest book. However, my scalp was screaming for a wash and I couldn’t resist any longer.
My goal for this curly girl wash day was to simplify the process while obtaining decent results. I knew I had a busy week ahead and wanted my curls to last at least 4 to 5 days before the next wash.
I peered under the sink at all my hair styling products and picked 3 items. I wanted a leave-in conditioner, curl cream and gel. Here’s my minimal curly hair wash and style routine with my results!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you purchase from them. Thanks for supporting the free content on this site!
in the shower
- Cleanse hair with Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo. I just started using this shampoo. I can feel my scalp tingling as it cleans and the scent is heavenly. It has worked wonderful for my low porosity hair!
- Condition with Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Hair Masque for 10 minutes while still in the shower. Completely rinse out. This conditioner does have protein in it. I only use it occasionally.
- Squish to condish with Kinky-Curly Knot Today Leave-In Conditioner/Detangler.
Using a 100% cotton t-shirt, I plopped my hair for half an hour. I normally add all my styling products before plopping, but decided to try something different (damp styling). I find that plopping removes much of my product. That is why I reapply my curl styling products halfway through my diffusing process.
Curly hair Styling
- Scrunch in Curls Creme Brule Whipped Curl Cream. Whenever I use this product, my husband says the bathroom smells like a giant cupcake.
- Scrunch in Kinky Curly Original Curling Custard.
Immediately diffuse hair. I diffuse my hair using the BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Portofino. I absolutely love this hair dryer. However, it does not come with a diffuser but can be purchased separately (I included the link for you). With my thick, 2c 3a curls, it takes me about 30 minutes to almost completely dry my curls.
The technique I use is to dry in 60 second intervals. I use warm and cool settings while flipping my hair from side to side.
As you can see, my layered curls are well-defined, frizz free and voluminous. I even decided to go makeup free to celebrate my simple curly hair routine. What do you think? Do you have a couple products you just can’t live without?
I tried this routine a second time one week later so you could see that I still love the results from these three curly hair styling products. Sometimes, parting your hair on the opposite side can give you a whole new look just like a little lipstick! ha ha!
bonus: easy refresh day
Today was day 5 for my curls and I desperately needed a refresh. I hopped in the shower, wet my hair thoroughly, finger combed the Curls Creme Brule Whipped Curl Cream and scrunched in Kinky Curly Original Curling Custard. I immediately diffused until dry. Here’s my results! I think I like them better than wash day on Sunday.