This past week, I tried something entirely outside the box. It was wash day and I did not have time for an involved shower with loads of styling products, a deep heat conditioning treatment or 40 minutes to diffuse my long curly hair. I decided I would get back to the basics.
To me, a minimal wash day routine looks like this: shampoo and conditioner for curly hair + a leave-in conditioner + a curl hair cream + a strong hold gel. I normally apply all my styling products in the shower, plop and then diffuse. Today, I only applied my detangler in the shower, plopped while I worked for an hour, scrunched in my two styling products and diffused. Simple. Right? Below is my routine on how to damp style wavy curly hair.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you purchase from them. Thanks for supporting the free content on this site!
My low porosity curls love the heat. If your natural hair is like mine, it will love a scalp massage and wash with Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo.
- Turn water to warm heat.
- Completely wet hair.
- Rub quarter-size amount of shampoo into scalp and massage with scalp scrubber for 5 minutes.
- Add water to hair as needed.
- Rinse out.
- Apply conditioner from roots to ends using praying hands and scrunching.
- Wait 5 minutes.
- Rinse out completely.
3. DETANGLE + LEAVE IN CONDITIONER
- Finger comb and squish my favorite detangler into your curls: Kinky Curly Knot Today.
- Plop curls in 100% cotton t shirt for 30 to 60 minutes. The longer you plop, the shorter your diffusing time should be.
5. Curly hair products
This is where, if you are damp styling, your routine will change. Normally, the curly girl routine has you place your products in your hair before plopping. To damp style curly hair, you add the styling products after plopping or air drying.
- Scrunch in a curly hair cream. I use Davines This is a Curl Building Serum. It’s a salon product for curly hair.
- Scrunch in a strong hold gel. My favorite so far is Kinky Curly Original Curling Custard.
Tip: When damp styling wavy, curly hair DO NOT mix your hair cream and gel together before scrunching into hair. I made this mistake and had little white gel balls all through my hair. With low porosity curls, if your hair is not wet enough, the product may sit on top of the hair follicle. If this happens to you, my suggestion is to use less leave in conditioner and apply a little water to your styling products before distributing through hair.
- Diffuse curly hair switching between medium and low heat. You should notice a noticeable reduction in drying time. My favorite hair dryer is by BaByLiss. I included a link at the bottom of this post.
While my low porosity, 2c 3a curls do best when styled with heat, too much makes my hair feel brittle. Damp styling my wavy, curly hair gave me clumped curls with low to no frizz. The extra plopping time allowed my roots to dry more naturally. This meant less time under the hair dryer! I also liked the fact that I didn’t lose most of my curly hair styling products to the t-shirt. Here are my results.
What do you think about damp styling curly hair? Have you had positive or negative styling results? Please share below!