Well, it’s been another 12 weeks! I really know how fast life is flying by when it is time to visit the hair salon. Over the last couple months I’ve met some wonderful curl friends. Oftentimes, I will be in the ladies room, at the grocery store or even the coffee shop and someone will come up to me and ask about my curls. I am honored to help out. Honestly, this is still a new adventure for me and I am still learning.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, which means I earn a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you purchase from them. Thanks for supporting the free content on this site!
#1 Tip for better curls: The cut
One of the most important lessons I’ve learned in my curly hair journey is the importance of a good cut. All the curly products in the world will only get you so far when it comes to encouraging your hair to form those beautiful coils.
I started noticing results when I had my first curly girl cut (devacurl cut). My curly hair stylist has been working on my curls for almost two years now. If you have been following my journey, you’ve seen the drastic results she’s been able to coax out of my curls. To see each of my natural curly hair cuts or for curly hairstyle inspiration, see all my hair cuts.
What does a curly cut look like?
For those of you just starting the curly girl journey or for those looking for that missing piece of the equation, a visit to the salon may be all you need. Here is what you should expect when getting a curly cut:
- Find a stylist that is Deva certified or has experience cutting curly or textured hair.
- Visit the salon with day 1 or day 2 styled hair.
- Bring photos of other curly hairstyles to help your stylist understand your expectations.
- Your curls will be cut dry.
- Your curls will be cut individually.
- Your hair cut will be a shaping of your hair. *See my photos below for an example of curl shaping.*
- When finished, your stylist will wash your hair and style it.
- Once dry, your curls will be looked over for any that need to be trimmed.
I would highly recommend reading reviews before visiting a stylist. Look for before and after photos of natural curly hairstyles. Don’t be afraid to try a stylist that isn’t Deva certified. My stylist isn’t, but she has been trained on how to properly cut curls. The evidence of my curls is enough to prove that experience can trump certification.
how much does a curly cut cost?
I have browsed the internet and seen prices from $75 all the way to $250 for a first time cut. My stylist in Cornelius, North Carolina, currently charges $70. Price conscious consumers may have a difficult time spending this much on their hair. If so, I would suggest longer gaps between salon visits.
If the price is keeping you from trying the cut, let me ask you a question. Do you dislike your curls? Do you try desperately to fight your natural waves in an effort to like what you see in the mirror? One year ago, I could say yes to both questions. My entire life I have spent running away from my natural hair. Once I found a curly hair stylist, it changed my life. 🙂 Can you put a price tag on that?
curly hair stylist in charlotte
If you live in the Charlotte or the Lake Norman area, I’ve listed a few curly hair and Deva stylists. If you visit my stylist, please, please, please let her know Jennifer Adams sent you! Thank you, much!
- Rain by Melodi Deva Stylists-1910 South Blvd, Suite 110 | Charlotte, NC 28203 | 704.778.6392
- Joyfully Curly by Joy Rudisill Deva Stylist -2134 N. Sharon Amity Rd | Charlotte NC, 28205 | 704.567.6782
- Atelier Salon or Shassity Styles Deva Cut -12335 North Community House Rd | Lenox Salons-Suite D4 | Charlotte, NC 28277 | 225.333.6836
- For Real Girl Deva Stylists -125 E Plaza Dr | Mooresville, NC 28115 | 704.663.1223
- Sanctuary Salon & Spa Curly Girl Cut (Subscribe & save 25%) *Let them know I sent you!* -21106 Catawba Avenue | Cornelius, NC 28031 | 704.765.9155
my latest curly hairstyle
curly hair products
Below is a list of the salon products used to style my shoulder length, 2c 3a curls after they were cut and washed with Davines Love Curl Shampoo and Davines Love Curl Conditioner. The list of curly hair products includes a hydrating milk for combating frizz, a curl mousse, a curl serum and a medium hold gel. I have placed them in the order they were applied to my curly hair.
Click on each product for purchase on Amazon. No need to drive to your local salon to find these amazing products! PS: If you are interested in where I found my Ciao Ciao t-shirt, it’s from Banana Republic. I don’t think they carry it anymore, but here is one similar.