As the crisp fall season approaches, focus often turns to our home interiors. Consequently, we spend more time at the dining table rather than outside on the patio or deck. Currently, I have upholstered cane back dining chairs at my table. Here’s how I protect my white upholstery from spills.
(Disclosure: This blog contains product links that are affiliate links. If you click on a link and purchase an item, I will receive a small affiliate commission.)
Scotchgard vs TriNova Non-Aerosol Stain Guard
Concerned about flammable, smelly aerosol sprays? I am. Many contain highly toxic chemicals.
Scotchgard fabric protector is used on furniture, carpets, and drapes to protect them from stains or spills. Due to the dangers of Scotchgard, the company pulled it off the shelves in 2000. (article: Hunker.com)
Some of Scotchgard’s hazards include:
- Extreme flammability
- May cause drowsiness or dizziness
It is recommended that you wear goggles, gloves and a face mask when applying Scotchgard in your home. Personally, if I must go to this extreme level of safety to protect my upholstered chairs, I’m not interested.
TriNova is a non-aerosol fabric protection spray. It is non-flammable.
Due to its water-based chemistry (does not contain PFOA or PTFE), it is safe enough to use indoors with proper ventilation! In addition, it is clear and odorless. Bonus points, it’s made in the USA!
Upholstery Stain Guard Facts
One bottle will cover about 70 square feet. It lasts 30 days and must be reapplied. This product is NOT a water-proofing product.
It cannot be used on vinyl, plastics, rubber, or finished leather. If you need a cleaning agent for these surfaces, check out TriNova Interior Quick Detailer.
How I Protect My Upholstered Cane Back Dining Chairs
For my first application of TriNova Stain Guard, I brought my chairs outside. The French country dining chairs were brand new. Therefore, the upholstered seats were clean and dry.
Without the use of goggle, gloves, or face mask, I sprayed the stain guard product evenly onto the polyester blend. Making sure to overlap in a crisscross pattern. It’s important to note that you don’t want to saturate your dining chair cushion.
Within 24 hours the beige fabric was ready for use. I’m happy to report that after 12+ months of use, our King Louis back chairs look brand new.
French Country Cane Back Dining Chair Review
(I purchased the Wayfair linked King Louis Back Side Chair Set. However, the Amazon linked look exactly like mine but with a rattan rather than cane backing. As always, price compare and shop accordingly.)
- Don’t wobble.
- Thick cushion comfortable enough for dinner AND dessert.
- Rattan round back supports the back while sitting.
- Light weight.
- Carved legs with distressed finish.
- Polyester that looks like linen.
- Look way pricier than they are.
- Neutral so they work with everything!
- Weight capacity of up to 300 lbs.
- Easy to assemble.
- Match and fit my double pedestal table perfectly. Dining Table height: 29.88”.
- Repeats French country design from the master bedroom. Our cane rattan bed frame in the color seadrift from Pottery Barn.
- Made in China. I prefer to order furniture made in the USA.
- It took lots of tweaking to get these just right and remove any wobble. However, they are perfect now.
- Not made for long periods of sitting. Great for a dinner party but not best for hours of chatting and conversation. Move that activity to the living room!
Additional Products to Protect Your Home
We have wood floors in our dining room. To protect them from scratches, we removed the plastic glides that came with them. They were too small.
Once removed, we applied 1-inch Scotch felt pads. Now the King Louis chairs slide with ease.
French Country Design Style
A mix of rustic and refined. Comfortable, yet elegant. Made up of muted colors, distressed, painted and vintage furnishings. Plus, lots of wood and other natural materials.
When decorating with French country design in mind, there will be linens, whites or cream fabrics. Be sure to protect your upholstered furniture with a stain guard. My family recommends TriNova.